Saturday, February 27, 2010
Gourmet Eating at Costco
Today I made my usual monthly trip to Costco and was fondly surprised to find a pound of roasted and salted Marcona almonds for $7.99, or $0.55/ounce. I've been obsessed with the Spanish nut since I had a cheese plate with them drizzled with honey at Thomas Keller's ad hoc restaurant in Yountville. I had been buying them at Trader Joe's where 6 ounces cost $3.99, $0.66/ounce.
I also bought:
- 2008 Francis Ford Coppola Pinot Noir, $13.99
- 2.8 lb block of parmesan cheese, $3.99/lb
- frozen Margherita pizzas, $9.49 for 4
- Amy's organic bean and cheese burritos, $9.99 for 8
- multigrain bread, 2 loaves $3.99
- 2 Semifreddi's baguettes, $3.09
- 1 lb organic, baby spinach $3.49
- 1 lb organic spring mix, $3.99
You can still buy food that's not great for you, like candy, soda and Kraft singles, but Costco is stepping it up.