Friday, March 5, 2010

Homemade Cafe in Berkeley

One of the several reasons I enjoy living in the Bay Area is the proximity of cafes. When laziness kicks in, as it does most weekends, I can walk a few minutes and find comfort food. Most days, I head to Homemade Café in Berkeley because the food is dependable and breakfast is served all day.

The wait can get so long on the weekends that you’ll see people standing outside for a table. The best times to visit are weekday mornings not just because the wait is short but also because of the weekday reward card. You get a stamp for every $5 spent, and when you reach $50 you get any free menu item. After just a couple visits with my party of two, I hit $50.

The menu at Homemade Café consists of breakfast staples like buttermilk pancakes, waffles and omelets along with Berkeley specialties like vegan and low cholesterol items. I am content with the huevos rancheros, which basically is a do-it-yourself breakfast burrito, but the pancakes are nice and fluffy.

While the food is good, like most cafes, it is nothing I could not make at home. What brings me back is the familiarity and service. The food is consistent, and the staff is friendly. Homemade Café has been here for over 30 years, so I appreciate the low-key, neighborhood vibe. There’s even a dog bowl outside, so you can bring your friend, eat outside and soak up a sunny morning.

Homemade Cafe
2454 Sacramento St., Berkeley

Photo: Ed U.

No comments:

Post a Comment